Unemployment Compensation Town Hall 2.16.2021
Laylan Pennel |
Our unemployment compensation guru, Judy Snyder, shared with us some important updates about unemployment compensation in Pennsylvania.
The CAA- Continued Assistance for Unemployed Workers Act- is extended
from the CARES ACT into 2021.
Another program is the Mixed Earners Unemployment Compensation (MEUC) for certain employees engaged in self employment.
- An additional $100 “bonus” benefit to eligible individuals who are also self- employed.
Federal Pandemic Unemployment Program (FPUC)
- Provides an additional $300 in bonus benefits to eligible individuals
- 6 states are having problems processing this additional payment- including PA.
Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation-PEUC
- For those claimants who collected and exhausted regular unemployment benefits
- Provides an additional 24 weeks of benefits for a total of 50 weeks.
- Phasing out 3/14, some payments may be extended through 4/10 to finish up.
- Claims can only be filed once per year and will either exhaust or expire. If a regular UC claim is exhausted, it will automatically be moved to the PEUC Program for up to 24 weeks.
- If a regular UC claim is expired, then the claimant needs to apply for PEUC online.
- Both claimants in these circumstances may qualify for the additional $300 bonus benefit through 3/13/21.
Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA)
- For self-employed and contractors
- Expanded eligibility up to 50 weeks for those who are traditionally ineligible for regular UC.
Extended Benefits (EB)
- Will be paid to those claimants who have exhausted PEUC for 13 weeks.
Bonus Benefit Payout
- Ends Saturday, March 13, 2021
Employers encouraged to:
- Develop a COVID prevention plan; assign a responsible workplace coordinator.
- Provide COVID-19 vaccine at no cost.
- Provide face coverings, PPE, supplies for good hygiene
- Install barriers and improve ventilation
- Implement social distancing in all communcal work areas when possible
- Follow CDC guidance with regard to quarantine/isolation for positive and exposed EEs.
- Officer leave under the FFCRA on a voluntary basis through 3-31-2021
- Perform routine cleaning and disinfection.
COVID Related Employment Litigation
- Three most common COVID-related employment claims: Retaliation, discrimination, FMLA claims