Toolkit for First Time Manager
New to management? Need to understand some of the basics? In this session we cover the critical skills necessary to manage others effectively. This workshop is a precursor to MEA’s Level I Foundational Leadership Series. A big realization for many is that making the move to leadership isn’t solely about being the best at what you do, now it’s about getting work done through others.
Participants attending this session will examine exactly what it takes to lead others. Through self-assessment participants will have the chance to recognize what they are already doing well and what’s needed when it comes to managing employees. Through these targeted assessments, the necessary skills needed for development will be identified by each individual attending. Rewards, challenges and what it takes to be a manager will all be explored in a highly interactive format.
- Examine how a manager’s role is different than an individual contributor
- Define skills, competencies, responsibilities & challenges when managing
- Balance and manage tasks and people through planning and organizing
- Learn a Performance Management model for a holistic view of managing others
- Understand the role of communication and its link to managing effectively
- Know what it takes to motivate and engage others
- Define the art and science of delegation
- Identify strategies, including feedback, to build the skill level of employees
- Create a development action plan to apply skills learned in class back on the job